Together Again

Together Again
We are all together.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Reflections on Black History Month

I still remember the shame I felt in American History class, both high school and college. In high school, the textbook showed a pictures of Blacks picking cotton and the caption inferred that they were happy doing so. I've picked cotton and I knew that doing back breaking work in the blazing southern sun, without much pay, isn't something that brings much happiness.


In college, my professor referred to Blacks as "niggers" during the discussion of the Civil War and reconstruction. He said the term was historically accurate and in keeping with language used during that period.

After 16 years of formal education, I was livid to discover that 'slavery' was only one part of my story and the story of my people. Formal education had only given me part of my story. The rest I discovered later.

The complete story has yet to become part of our national consciousness. Despite Black history month, African Studies programs, the popular preception is that our story begins with slavery. Until the rest of our story is known we will continue to have debates that question our intelligence, our place in world history and our future.

A new century does call for new stories. These new stories must remind us of our African origins and world changing contributions. This new story must view slavery in the context of our complete history, pointing to our strengt, and removing the shame and misconceptions. Our slavery experience is a stepping stone to overcoming whatever challenges are before us.


We must return and fetch what was left behind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through many of the posts I realized it's new to me.

Nonetheless, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back often!


Take a look at my webpage; Teeth Dentist