Together Again

Together Again
We are all together.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

                                                    Healthier Finger Nails
The first round of chemo took out my hair. The second round is playing havoc with my fingernails. I’ve never paid much attention to them, keeping them cut short and buffed. Occasionally, I’d make the effort to use nail polish, especially if I was performing for a dressy affair.

Several weeks ago, I noticed my left thumb hurting along the sides of the nail. The pain felt like I’d picked up a splinter. I never thought this was a side effect of chemo. It was and so are other noticeable changes. My finger nails are becoming brittle and the nail beds are darkening.

I am learning to be more observant to changes, even when they don’t seem to result from chemo or radiation. Often, there’s something simple to counter act the changes. I am now massaging my nails with vitamin E oil from capsules I already have at home. Keeping nails trimmed will prevent splits.

I’m paying more attention to my fingernails, treating them with TLC and they are going to be healthier than ever. I just might invest in a manicure.

No comments: