Together Again

Together Again
We are all together.

Friday, January 12, 2018



Let’s Talk About Mental Health

I would never have considered taking medication for anxiety if it had not been suggested by a retired RN with 30+ years of experience.  Most convincing was her own story, multiple surgeries including having both knees replaced at the same time and caring for her husband during his last years. 

When she first made the suggestion, I listened without comment.  The second time I listened more closely and the third time, I kept my mouth shut and opened my mind.  Recovering from the surgery was painful and there was pain medication.  Managing skin changes and swallowing from radiation is treated with Auqaphor and Mylanta.  There are pills for nausea, anemia and constipation. I never question the need for these healing aids.

My mental health, stress, anxiety, I can’t see it and think I am mentally strong enough to pray my way through it, muscle my way through it, positively think my way through it all without any medical support.  Over time, as I continued to talk with the RN, she began to make sense and I began to listen.

Before starting the healing radiation and chemo, I talked with my primary care physician and had a frank conversation about being mentally healthy.  She prescribed a low dosage of medication to help with anxiety and I talked with a counselor at the cancer center.  With both medication and counseling, I was being proactive to give myself the support needed.

It is so much easier to talk about physical problems; depression and anxiety are much more difficult and just as real.  These are medical problems not character flaws or weakness.  I am thankful to my RN friend.  She was willing to have this difficult conversation with me and continue until I heard and got the help I needed.


No comments: