Together Again

Together Again
We are all together.

Friday, January 19, 2018



                                                   Taste Changes
Peanut butter was the first casualty.  Honey and hazelnut spread followed.  Foods that I’ve enjoyed in the past are no longer appealing.  My tastes are changing.  I made chili yesterday.  It looked so good.  Onions, garlic, green peppers, celery, three kinds of beans, sweet corn and three kinds of meat.  A big potful and I had a hard time eating a small bowl. This morning, I made cornbread using my favorite recipe, I’ve given it all away. It just didn’t taste the same.

After eating, I have an odd taste in my mouth that is unrelated to the food.  My sister-in-law suggested using plastic utensils. They do make a difference. They eliminate the odd mouth taste and food taste more like I remember.

The nutritionist encourages me to eat or drink enough calories to maintain my current weight.  Nutritional drinks like Boost are recommended.  They are high calorie and full of nutrients.  They are also very sweet and sweets have lost some of their appeal.  I mix the drink with soy milk (lactose intolerant), vanilla, and a tiny bit of salt, (it cuts the sweetness) and heat it.  It tastes like hot chocolate.

What now?  A chance to explore new foods and spices. I enjoy trying new foods and enjoy cooking something different.  My first buy was Meyer Lemons, a cross between lemons and mandarin oranges. They are full of juice and make great lemonade.

My next visit to the grocery store, I’m going to try something I’ve only looked at.  With the internet, I can find recipes easily.  With all the choices, I’m sure I’ll find food and spices that both good to me and good for me.

No comments: