Together Again

Together Again
We are all together.

Monday, January 29, 2018

                                      We are More Connected than We Think
Today I started the 3rd healing sessions of Chemo. All went well, my hemoglobin is improving, iron tablets are working. All the other indicators are heading in the right direction and I am maintaining a healthy weight.

Now, I was ready to begin the days healing cocktail. The sessions start with medication given through a drip to minimize side effects. This morning, I was given a medication intravenously that is usually dripped. Not paying much attention, I begin squirming, it felt like there were ants in my pants and they were having a field day biting.

The nurse saw the squirming and said the drug had to be injected because the small bags from Puerto used to drip this medication were unavailable. After months of healing sessions and not thinking about where things are manufactured, here I am in Milledgeville, Georgia being effected by a hurricane that happened 4,00 miles away and four months ago.

“The medical products industry has a significant presence in Puerto Rico, and the disruption to this industry has had ramifications for patients both on the island and throughout the U.S.” stated Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D. “

Hospitals across the country are reporting shortages of intravenous fluids, particularly sodium chloride 0.9-percent injection bags, a type of saline bag. Saline intravenous fluids, used to inject drugs in hospital and out-patient settings, have been in short supply since 2014, but the electrical issues in Puerto Rico has exacerbated the shortage.
Quote from article by By Mary Ellen Godin, Record-Journal staff January 02, 2018 05:48PM

There may be other changes because of the shortage of iv fluids. Whatever the changes are, I am confident the medical team will find practical and creative solutions that are in my best interest. If the worst thing that happens is a few ants in my pants, I’m good with it.

No comments: