Together Again

Together Again
We are all together.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017



                                  Finding My Own Path
I have two close friends that had cancer during the past two years.  They both found peace, in different ways.  One friend died from pancreatic cancer and the other is recovered from breast cancer.  They opened their journey to me.  Little did I know at the time that I would walk the same path.  I am thankful because I am not mystified by what lies ahead.

My friend Terry would not let me pretend.  She’d said, “What part of terminal don’t you understand? This is what we have, there isn’t time to put anything off.”  Terry is telling me this as she begins to find things she wants me to enjoy.  I have earrings, necklaces, shoes and scarves.  Each was given with so much love and received with love.  I miss Terry and will never forget the way she stared life in the face.

My friend Sherry brings joy where ever she lands.  Whenever I need to lighten up and see the humor and possibilities in my situation I call her.  Having heard how she received the news, I was better prepared to accept my stunned silence.   My brain stopped.  I didn’t have any questions. Knowing that she’d called our best friend after receiving the news, I called Sherry and we breathed together.

Over the past two weeks, I’ve reduced the painkillers and yesterday I made it without taking any.  I walked and did some easy yoga poses.  The brain fog is lifting and I completed some work on a storytelling concert being scheduled for late March, early April 2018.  Physically, each day, there is more comfort in simple movements. 

One day at a time, following the examples set by my friends.  Each friend showed me their best possible path and offered me hope that I can figure out mine.

No comments: