Together Again

Together Again
We are all together.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017



The “New” Normal
The third day of chemo and radiation has passed. This is going to be my routine for a while.  This isn’t going to last forever.  It is going to be my ‘new normal’ for a while. My day begins around 7:30. I head to the kitchen to take an iron tablet with a huge cup of water and a stool softener (being honest). I take care morning toiletries and get dressed. 

By 8:30 I’m having breakfast, green tea, two boiled eggs and a bit of oatmeal with blueberries, grapes and yogurt. Breakfast is prepared the night before. This morning I felt queasy and it takes some effort to complete the meal.

There’s an hour for morning chores.  We leave home at 10AM for the cancer center, arriving at 10:15 for check in. By 10:25 I’m getting weighed, blood pressure and temperature taken.  The port is flushed and prepared for chemo.  I make my way to the open, airy room and choose a recliner. I’m still queasy so I get medication for the queasiness before the chemo begins.  Finally, the drip begins and takes about an hour.

At the hours end, the line is removed, don’t feel anything.  I’m sprung, it’s about 12:30.  The radiation facility closes from 12:00 -1PM.  I go for a short walk around the track.  The day is beautifully warm, and it feels good being outside.  The geese are all around the pond sunning and grooming themselves.

I feel hungry, but feel to tired to eat anything.  I’m packing a lunch.  Today I have grapes, yaourt and a peanut butter, Nutella and candied ginger on a croissant. I don’t eat anything and that was a mistake.

1PM, I’m checked in for radiation.  I lay on a long table, with my feet tied to keep me from moving and my hands are above my head holding a handle.  The table is covered with a sheet that stops just below my shoulder blades.  The small section of glass is very cold.  The technicians move me into place, guided by the marks that were made earlier.  The entire process tables about 15 min.  I’m finished by 1:30.

Allen and I visit a friend in Green Acres.  It’s a sunny day, so we go outside for the visit.  Stopping by the library, we head home.  Finally, I eat, not much, but enough.  About 4:30 friends visit bringing a gift of exotic teas from Miami.

I know what to expect during the morning, it’s exciting to have the unexpected in the evenings.


No comments: