Together Again

Together Again
We are all together.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017



Walking In Terry’s Shoes
I’ve always thought it morbid to wear something owned by someone that died.  When my friend Terry knew she wasn’t going to recover from pancreatic cancer, she began giving me many of the beautiful things she loved.  I accepted because it made her so happy and I wanted to do anything I could to add to her joy.

Terry loved shoes and we wear the same size.  I have many of those shoes and on my second day of healing sessions I wore a pair of teal ankle boots.  They fit perfectly and are so comfortable.  I’ve worn them all day, 10AM till 8PM and they still feel good.  Terry never had a chance to wear the boots.

Today, I literally walked in Terry’s shoes. Wearing the shoes brought to mind all the time I spent eating and talking at her home.  I could show up any time, the door was always open.  I knew she would listen and anything I said never left the room. I never left without her sending something home with me, cake, cookies, fudge, earrings, soap, preserves, whatever she thought would bring me joy.

Terry taught me so much.  She gave me more than I ever gave her.  Terry taught me how to live and she taught me how to let go.  She faced her choices with courage, humor and love.
I’ll wear these shoes often, and each time I wear them, I will honor Terry and all she taught me.

No comments: